In 2009, President Obama recognized the need to increase education and dialogue about cyber security, as called for in the Cyberspace Policy Review. As part of this policy review, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was asked to create an ongoing cyber security awareness campaign — Stop.Think.Connect.™ The Stop.Think.Connect. Campaign is a national public awareness effort to guide the nation to a higher level of Internet safety by challenging the American public to be more vigilant about practicing safe online habits. Through partnerships at the federal, state and local level, as well as with private sector, academic institutions, and nonprofit organizations, the Campaign is reaching thousands of Americans, providing tips on how they can protect themselves, their families and the nation from growing cyber threats.
Americans are adopting new and innovative technologies and spending more of their time online. At home, at work and at school, our growing dependence on technology, coupled with the increasing threat of cyber attacks and risks to our privacy, demands greater security in our online world. The Stop.Think.Connect. Campaign’s overarching goal is to help Americans understand not only the risks that come with using the Internet, but also the importance of practicing safe online behavior. In addition, the Campaign aims to arm Americans at all levels with practical tips and tools to improve their online safety.
- Friends of the Campaign: If you want to learn about ways to better protect yourselves, your families and your community — become a Friend of the Campaign. All Friends have one thing in common: a commitment to understand and share messages about the importance of online safety. By becoming a Friend, you will receive information from the Campaign that you can use to improve online safety in your community. Become a Friend by signing up at www.dhs.gov/stopthinkconnect-friends-campaign-program.
- National Network: The National Network is comprised of nonprofit groups and organizations that advocate and promote cyber security within their organizations and to their stakeholders. The Campaign is seeking to build relationships with organizations and groups that target government, industry, small business, parents and educators, young professionals, and older Americans. Nonprofit organizations interested in promoting cyber security awareness within their organizations and community can join the National Network by sending their logo and a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org. There are no fees or financial obligations associated with membership.
- Cyber Awareness Coalition: The Coalition is open to federal agencies and state, local, tribal, and territorial governments as an avenue to work directly with DHS and the Stop.Think.Connect. Campaign to promote awareness about cyber threats and online safety practices both within their organizations and to their stakeholders and citizens. Organizations interested in membership can easily join by sending an official logo and email stating intent to join to email@example.com.
- Academic Alliance: The Academic Alliance is a nationwide network of non-profit colleges and universities committed to promoting safer online practices. Academia has a unique opportunity to lead by example in ensuring the online practices of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the community are as secure as possible. Academic organizations interested in membership can easily join by sending an official logo and email stating intent to join to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3): You may file a complaint with the IC3 if you believe you have been the victim of an Internet crime or if you want to file on behalf of another person you believe has been such a victim.
Learn More About Cyber Threats & How to Avoid Them
FOR MORE INFORMATION
You have an opportunity to join in cyber security awareness efforts across the country. If you, your family or your organization is interested in more information about the Campaign, please visit www.dhs.gov/stopthinkconnect.
Stop.Think.Connect.™ is a national public awareness campaign aimed at increasing the understanding of cyber threats and
empowering the American public to be safer and more secure online. The Campaign’s main objective is to help you become
more aware of growing cyber threats and arm you with the tools to protect yourself, your family, and you community. For more
information visit http://www.dhs.gov/stopthinkconnect.